Health & Safety
Joint Health & Safety Committee Certification
Most workplaces with 20 or more workers must have a Joint Health and Safety Committee established. At least one worker and one management representative of this committee must be certified members. The Ministry of Labour enforces this requirement in Ontario for all provincially regulated workplaces.
New Standard for JHSC Certification Training Now in Effect
We are the only Chief Prevention Officer (CPO) approved training provider located in Kingston under the new standard.
What makes us different from other providers?
We offer smaller course sizes by limiting each course to a maximum of 12 participants thus, offering a more engaging learning experience in a relaxed, comfortable country setting. Our course fees include all training materials, lunch and refreshments.
The Ministry of Labour has changed the training requirements for members of a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) to become certified.
The updated standard requires newly appointed members, who were not certified under the 1996 standard to comply with the new requirements. The new certification standard requires members of a committee to complete:
- A three day Basic Certification course and
- A two day worksite specific training course
Additional changes made under the new standard:
- The two courses (part one and part two) must be completed within six months of each other
- Members will be required to take a day refresher course every three years in order to remain certified
- The new standard will not recognize online-only training courses
- E-learning courses will require a blended model of delivery, where a portion of the course is delivered online, followed by a mandatory instructor lead program.
Part One, Basic Certification:
- Provides an overall knowledge of the health and safety legislation that applies to most workplaces
- Only available through Ministry of Labour approved providers that make up a network of Health and Safety Partners, including private consultants, the Health and Safety Associations and the Workers Health and Safety Centre.
($575.00+HST/person; Includes training materials, lunch & refreshments)
Part Two, Workplace-Specific Hazard Training:
- Focuses on significant hazards in your workplace.
- Covers how to assess those hazards and ways to control and/or eliminate them.
($385.00+HST/person; includes training materials, lunch and refreshments)
*PLEASE NOTE - Starting January 1, 2018, the cost of JHSC Certification Training - Part 2 Workplace Specific, will be $425.00 (plus HST).
Register Now for our Upcoming JHSC Training Sessions
*Both of these programs can be delivered at our site or in a private session hosted by the requesting workplace.
--- "Fantastic course, Wiebke! I will be recommending your services."
--- "You made learning about H & S fun. You know the material and live it. A pleasure to meet you; can't wait for level 2!"
--- "FANTASTIC! Approach is very favorable to knowledge retention. Having taken this course with other providers, this rates #1!"